[OT] [Samba] SPAM

Tom Dickson bombcar at bombcar.com
Wed Oct 15 11:27:38 GMT 2003

Here is the issue, and why the Samba list is basically unable to do
anything:

If you send a message to the Samba list, it gets resent to everyone on
the list. This message will contain a FROM: line, showing an email address.

There are people on this list who have virus ridden machines. They get
your message, and the virus reads the FROM: line, and sends off a virus
to you.

The virus goes directly to you; not through the Samba list. The only
solution is to completely destroy the FROM and REPLY lines in all your
emails; an ugly solution.

If you really don't like the virus spam, may I recommend www.mozilla.com
? It's mail filtering works great for me, and all my little virus splats
go right into the junk folder.

If you really really insist on using Microsoft software and don't want
to ever see a virus spam, then post to the group from a one-time hotmail
account, and read the replies in the list archives.
of this virus spam in it.

The only other solution is to LART every clueless user out there; but
this is unlikely to work: sysadmins have been trying for 20 years with
no results.

- -Tom