[Samba] RE: SPAM

Jim Morris Jim at Morris-World.com
Tue Oct 14 19:27:10 GMT 2003

I have to agree with the others on the need for the mailing list to do
something.

I just posted to the Samba list for the first time in a couple of
months, and since doing so, have gotten 3 or 4 dozen of these virus
emails. And I run server based email filters - these are the ones that
are getting through the filters!  The viruses don't infect me, as I
only read mail from Linux or Mac OS X, but they are clogging my inbox.

The point is - I posted one question to this mailing list today, and in
the 4 or 5 hours since, have averaged 10+ virus emails an hour.  I am
not sure what can be done though.  The mails don't even have me as the
"To:" address - instead I think they are getting BCC'ed to me by
whoever on this list is infected.

I would gladly forgo direct replies from this list, and have replies
posted only to the list address, if it would eliminate the problem.  In
other words, the list would almost have to run with anonymous postings
or something, for that to work.  Obviously you would have to be a
subscriber to post, but the emails would be stripped by the mailing
list manager.
  --
Jim Morris    (Jim at Morris-World.com)