[Samba] Some simple (I hope) questions

Joshua Tarplin jltarplin at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 14 18:30:01 GMT 2003

I'm new to Samba, and I have a few minor questions for which I need answers
before I start this grandiose adventure in connectivity.

I current have a small home network, consisting of:
   (1) Mandrake Linux 9.1 workstation
   (1) Windows 2000 Pro workstation
   (1) Windows XP Pro file/print server
   (1) LinkSys 4-port (ethernet) router

My goal is to be able to use Samba to access the files in and the printers
attached to the Windows XP server from my Linux workstation.

The impression I'm getting from everyone I ask is that Samba was designed to
allow Windows-based workstations to access fioles/printers on Linux/Unix
servers.  If this is the case, then I'm sunk.

I would appreciate any and all advice you can offer in this situation.

Much thanks in advance...

Joshua Tarplin, MCSE
jltarplin at hotmail.com