[Samba] Getting SAMBA to recognize windows user

DeBekker, Alan Alan_DeBekker at platts.com
Fri Oct 10 18:23:13 GMT 2003

Hello,

I am having trouble configuring my SAMBA machine to recognize windows
users.  This machine is running Solaris 8 and SAMBA 2.2.7a.  The only
way I can get windows users to map a drive to the SAMBA share is to add
their username to the passwd file of the unix machine.  This makes
things complicated because I need to ask the user for there windows
password so the unix password matches the windows password.  Right now
when users try and map a drive to the SAMBA share they are asked to
supply a username and password. There is another group in my company
that has SAMBA working without entering the usernames into the password
file of the unix machine.  This way the windows users only have to map
the drive, they are not prompted to supply their username and password.
I copied their smb.conf file and used it on my SAMBA machine but that
did not work.  Users were still prompted for their credentials.

I must be missing something in my configuration.  I have attached a copy
of the smb.conf file I am using.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Alan DeBekker