[Samba] Help: can't get winbindd working ?

jiangy jiangy at cs.unc.edu
Wed Oct 8 19:07:46 GMT 2003

Could anyone give me some hint on how to get winbindd working ?
I have added the following to smb.conf , called smbpasswd to join the
domain
and got security=domain working.

security = domain
encrypt passwords = yes
workgroup = MYDOMAIN
password server = x.x.x.x

But when I try to use winbindd, even if I followed the man page
instruction and did the following:

added the following to smb.conf:

       winbind separator = +
       winbind cache time = 10
       template shell = /bin/bash
       template homedir = /home/%D/%U
       winbind uid = 10000-2000
       winbind gid = 10000-20000

added the following to nsswitch.conf:

    passwd:     files winbind
    shadow:     files
    group:      files winbind

copied libnss_winbind.so and set up link for libnss_winbind.so.2 (I am
running linux 2.4)
I still can't get it work and keep getting the following error:

"Could no look up dc's for domain MYDOMAIN"

Then I composed a LMHOSTS file as:

x.x.x.x     mypdc         #PRE #DOM:MYDOMAIN

and point nmbd to it, it still doesn't work.

Could anyone give me some hint on what I may have done wrong here or if
there is anything
I am missing here ?

Thanks a lot.

Yuquan