[Samba] Samba + Cups + Filter Access

Chris Smith chris at realcomputerguy.com
Wed Oct 8 14:51:48 GMT 2003

On Wednesday 08 October 2003 10:00, Thiago Lima wrote:

>     If I configure samba and cups in the RAW mode using windows original
> drivers of the printers, everything works fine, but this way I can't use
> cups accounting.

Yeah, that bites.

>     So I reinstaled all my printers in cups using their PPD (using
> redhat printconf) , and followed the tutorial in linuxprinting.org
> (http://www.linuxprinting.org/kpfeifle/SambaPrintHOWTO/Samba-HOWTO-Colle
> ction-3.0-PrintingChapter-11th-draft.html). But even if I got no errors
> in the process I can't print from my windows using the cups postscript
> drivers.

What you can do to troubleshoot your problem, narrow your search, and to ask
for assistance in the right place is to re-create the scenario with an
attempt to print to CUPS via IPP instead of Samba. This is a more direct
route and takes Samba out of the picture. If the problem is ameliorated then
maybe the issue is Samba related. If printing via IPP doesn't ameliorate the
problem then you know for sure that Samba is not the place to look.

Chris