[Samba] Install a Printer Driver with no INF file?

daniel.jarboe at custserv.com daniel.jarboe at custserv.com
Mon Oct 6 20:13:20 GMT 2003

Hi Ryan,

You should look at the 3.0 Samba-HOWTO-Collection under Chapter 18.
Classical Printing Support... specifically "Installing Print Drivers
Using rpcclient"

Long story short you install the drivers locally onto 1 box just to
determine which files the printer driver uses and where they're put,
then copy the drivers into Samba's [print$]/W32X86 directory and use
rpcclient adddriver to install them.  You can then associate the printer
with the installed drivers, and point 'n print works for the arch you
installed the drivers for.  The howto goes into good detail.  The
hardest part is making sure you get your rpcclient adddriver command
exactly right (quotation marks, colons, commas, filenames, etc... you'll
see what I mean).

Good Luck!
~ Daniel

> Disk..." as it comes in an EXE that installs itself to
> %SYSTEMDRIVE%\SPOOL, etc. I have run into this in the past
> and simply gave
> up, but I feel like there has got to be a way to solve it.
> Perhaps can I
> somehow get the driver from a Windows machine with it already
> installed?

This message is the property of Time Inc. or its affiliates. It may be
legally privileged and/or confidential and is intended only for the use
of the addressee(s). No addressee should forward, print, copy, or
otherwise reproduce this message in any manner that would allow it to be
viewed by any individual not originally listed as a recipient. If the
notified that any unauthorized disclosure, dissemination, distribution,
copying or the taking of any action in reliance on the information
herein is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication
in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete this message.
Thank you.