[Samba] no wins,nbt,etc only dns

jon jon at dullesmicro.com
Sun Oct 5 00:42:21 GMT 2003

I have never used windows nt, only 2000....NT does not run on dns for name look up like 2000? I will have study up on NT.

Thanks

On Sun, 2003-10-05 at 06:27, jon wrote:
> Is it possible to disable all lookup protocols and only use DNS
> using samba when all hosts are w2k and a samba 3 domain controller?
>
> I am only saying this on the assumption that you can disable wins,
> netbios, nbt when using DNS and a Microsoft AD as a domain
> controller.

The problem here is that Samba is not an AD domain controller.  Samba
implements the NT4 protocols - the name resolution stuff for this would
(and has, we did look more like AD in the 3.0 alpha series) open the can
of worms, requiring all sorts of other changes.

> If so what should the smb.conf file look like.

Not the answer to your question, but if you had AD domain controllers,
and Samba was just a file-server, then:

disable netbios = yes

would do the trick.  Sadly, this isn't possible for the DC yet.

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net