[Samba] "deep" tree mounting?

Anthony Clark aclrk at umich.edu
Fri Oct 3 17:01:34 GMT 2003

Hi,

I'm attempting to use a version 3 smbmount to mount my windows home
directory within my linux homedir.

The command I'm using is "smbmount //servername/a/aclrk
/home/aclrk/smb-home" which fails with:

tree connect failed: ERRDOS - ERRnosuchshare
SMB Connection failed.

Now I know that the share exists - it's mapped to the 'My Documents'
icon on my winxp desktop by our central IT dept.  So I attempted to use
smbclient:  "smbclient //servername/a/aclrk" which fails with:

tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME

I can do a "smbclient //servername/a" and it works fine;  I can cd into
my windows homedir and manipulate files to my heart's content.

I guess I want to know if I *should* be able to mount a directory deeper
than the 'first level' tree.  I'm trying to do this as a test for a
linux based desktop and having windows directories appear for our
(future) linux users is very important.

Additional information:  The shares are also available from DFS -
accessible via //domainname/ - is there a way to access a domainname DFS
share with samba 3?  smbclient simply says 'connection to domainname failed'

Thanks very much in advance,

Anthony Clark