[Samba] Samba 3 reports 'directory does not exist' when trying to creating an already existing directory

Gerald (Jerry) Carter jerry at samba.org
Fri Oct 3 14:53:14 GMT 2003

Arnold Hendriks wrote:
| Hi,
|
| since an upgrade to Samba 3 (the binary rpms samba-3.0.0-1from a
| samba download site, redhat 7.3) this morning, we've been
| experiencing problems with WinCVS on mounted network drives.
|
| apparently, (one of) the following options is causing the problems (I
| can't do more detailed testings right now because too many people
| are working on the server) - we use these options to ensure proper
| permissions on all drives:
|
| ; create mode = 0664
| ; directory mode = 0774
| ; force create mode = 0664
| ; force directory mode = 0775
| ; force security mode = 0644
| ; force directory security mode = 0775
|
| when these options are not commented out, the following occurs
| when trying to "mkdir" an already existing directory:
|
| Z:\>dir
| 02-10-2003  13:43       <DIR>          palm
|
| Z:\>mkdir palm
| The system cannot find the file specified.
|
| when these options are commented out, we get the 'normal' error:
|
| Z:\>mkdir palm
| A subdirectory or file palm already exists.
|
| are the options we use deprecated, or is this just a problem in the
| new samba release?

This would be a bug in the error code we are returning.
I'll try to reproduce it.  Can you open an issue in
https://bugzilla.samba.org/ so it doesn't get lost.
Thanks.

cheers, jerry
~ Hewlett-Packard            ------------------------- http://www.hp.com
~ SAMBA Team                 ---------------------- http://www.samba.org
~ GnuPG Key                  ---- http://www.plainjoe.org/gpg_public.asc
~ "You can never go home again, Oatman, but I guess you can shop there."
~                            --John Cusack - "Grosse Point Blank" (1997)