[Samba] RE: WINS problems, samba 2.2.8a

Joakim Tjernlund joakim.tjernlund at lumentis.se
Fri Oct 3 11:35:32 GMT 2003

> I have a network with several WORKGROUPS(lets call them X,Y and Z) in it and a samba
> server which is in one of the WORKGROUPS(X).
> I have enabled WINS support in samba and all client machines has WINS server IP
> configured that points to the samba server.
>
> Problem:
> When a browsning the network from a client I can only see a some nodes(or none at all)
> in WORKGROUPS Y and Z. Usally it takes 10-20 seconds to update the screen when I refresh.
> When I look in the wins.dat database I see lots nodes there that don't belong to
> WORKGROUP X.
>
> Is this normal behaviour? If not, how can I fix it?
>
>     Jocke

Hi again

I found this text in the Samba-HOWTO-Collection:

"WINS also serves the purpose of forcing browse list synchronization by all LMBs. LMBs must synchronize their
browse list with the DMB (Domain Master Browser) and WINS helps the LMB to identify its DMB. By definition this
will work only within a single workgroup. Note that the Domain Master Browser has nothing to do with what is
referred to as an MS Windows NT Domain. The later is a reference to a security environment while the DMB refers
to the master controller for browse list information only."

I think that this explains my problem, right?
So, the only thing to do fix this is to put all machines into the same WORKGROUP?

  Jocke