[Samba] Cannot compile 3.0.0 release

McGrath, Robert Robert.McGrath at capita.co.uk
Fri Oct 3 08:40:35 GMT 2003

Does anyone know why I cannot compile the 3.0.0 release of Samba on Compaq
Tru64 4.0f (aka DEC OSF1 version 4.0f)

I have read the mailing list quite a lot and have done the chmod adjustment
to the "install-sh" file, and then ran "./configure"
I am not using gcc nor am I using GNU make, I am using the default compiler
and make supplied with the OS.

the "./configure" step seemed to complete OK and ended with the following;
checking how to build vfs_default_quota... shared
checking how to build vfs_readonly... shared
checking how to build vfs_cap... shared
Using libraries:
    LIBS = -lsecurity -lresolv
    AUTH_LIBS =
checking configure summary... yes
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating include/stamp-h
config.status: creating Makefile
config.status: creating script/findsmb
config.status: creating smbadduser
config.status: creating script/gen-8bit-gap.sh
config.status: creating include/config.h

Just before the "make" step I edited the "./Makefile" to remove the "-g"
from the CFLAGS
and then ran make which ended with the output below;
Compiling smbd/server.c
Compiling popt/findme.c
Compiling popt/popt.c
Compiling popt/poptconfig.c
Compiling popt/popthelp.c
Compiling popt/poptparse.c
Linking bin/smbd
ld:
Unresolved:
__unsafe_string_function_usage_here__
*** Exit 1
Stop.

My C program skills are almost non-existent, so I had to ask round a few
friends (who are also not strong C programmers, but are better than me)
and found that after the "configure" step the resulting "Makefile" does not
contain any reference to "safe_string.h", which is I believe where the
character pointer "__unsafe_string_function_usage_here__" is defined.

Does anyone know a workaround? Preferably one that does not involve using
GNU make or GCC.

Regards
Bobby

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential, and may be subject to legal privilege, and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.
If you have received this email in error or think you may have done so, you may not peruse, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message. Please notify the sender immediately and delete the original e-mail from your system.

Computer viruses can be transmitted by e-mail. Recipients should check this e-mail for the presence of viruses. The Capita Group and its subsidiaries accept no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this e-mail.