[Samba] Cannot compile 3.0.0 release

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sun Oct 5 00:42:21 GMT 2003

On Fri, 2003-10-03 at 18:40, McGrath, Robert wrote:
> Does anyone know why I cannot compile the 3.0.0 release of Samba on Compaq
> Tru64 4.0f (aka DEC OSF1 version 4.0f)
>
> I have read the mailing list quite a lot and have done the chmod adjustment
> to the "install-sh" file, and then ran "./configure"
> I am not using gcc nor am I using GNU make, I am using the default compiler
> and make supplied with the OS.
>
> the "./configure" step seemed to complete OK and ended with the following;
> checking how to build vfs_default_quota... shared
> checking how to build vfs_readonly... shared
> checking how to build vfs_cap... shared
> Using libraries:
>     LIBS = -lsecurity -lresolv
>     AUTH_LIBS =
> checking configure summary... yes
> configure: creating ./config.status
> config.status: creating include/stamp-h
> config.status: creating Makefile
> config.status: creating script/findsmb
> config.status: creating smbadduser
> config.status: creating script/gen-8bit-gap.sh
> config.status: creating include/config.h
>

> Just before the "make" step I edited the "./Makefile" to remove the "-g"
> from the CFLAGS
> and then ran make which ended with the output below;
> Compiling smbd/server.c
> Compiling popt/findme.c
> Compiling popt/popt.c
> Compiling popt/poptconfig.c
> Compiling popt/popthelp.c
> Compiling popt/poptparse.c
> Linking bin/smbd
> ld:
> Unresolved:
> __unsafe_string_function_usage_here__
> *** Exit 1
> Stop.
>
> My C program skills are almost non-existent, so I had to ask round a few
> friends (who are also not strong C programmers, but are better than me)
> and found that after the "configure" step the resulting "Makefile" does not
> contain any reference to "safe_string.h", which is I believe where the
> character pointer "__unsafe_string_function_usage_here__" is defined.
>
> Does anyone know a workaround? Preferably one that does not involve using
> GNU make or GCC.

The easy solution is to just use GCC.  We have a configure test who's
role it is to detect if a function call is removed, if not used (as
detected by the optomization code).  We use this particular
compiler-quirk to find buffer-overruns at compile time.

For some reason, it has failed to correctly note your compiler's
behaviour and have placed:

#define HAVE_COMPILER_WILL_OPTIMIZE_OUT_FNS 1

into your config.h.  The easy fix it so remove that line, after you run
configure.  However, what we need is to get this fixed properly - can
you please file a bug in bugzilla.samba.org about this?  (Including this
explaination).

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org