[Samba] Size of locking.tdb?

Alexey Lobanov aal at evidence-cpr.com
Thu Oct 2 16:01:57 GMT 2003

Hi Jeremy.

On 2 Oct 2003 at 15:17, Jeremy Allison wrote:

> No it is not. I believe you may be having problems on your hardware/machine.
> tdb's have been *extensively* tested on async mounted filesystems on the HP
> PSA (I mean hundreds of thousands of hours of tests overall). This is why
> the early tdb implementation  was rapidly improved. This is not a generic tdb bug.

Most likely, it is some unhappy combination of software. But I cannot believe that I have
something absolutely unique and nobody else has same.

Hardware is excluded: everything (except case, but including power supply) was replaced
to _different_ during about half-year fight. And this problem is ONLY in this production
box: no any file corruption, no hangs, nothing. And because of this headache I still
cannot migrate fileservices from nearstanding old machine which works hardly since 1998;
all the rest is moved happily.

And the only thing which changes behavior is sync mounting of a partition where TDB's
sit. Fortunately, I have separate /var, /var/log and /var/spool in this box.

So why I ask the Comminity to look with nore attention at their machines and find similar
symptoma. In my opinion, it is possible.

My configurations on which this bug^H^H^Hproblem persists:

OS: Debian Woody, from DVD 3.0 to most current 3.0r1. Means, libc was replaced.

Linux kernels: 2.4.18, 2.4.21, mono and SMP. NB: all kernels patched by Posix ACL
(Bestbits) and non-executable stack (Openwall). Could be a clue?

Samba: 2.2.5 to 2.2.8a, installed from source, unpatched.

Samba options:

./configure  --with-acl-support --with-ldapsam --with-quotas --with-utmp \
  --with-configdir=/etc/samba \
  --sysconfdir=/etc/samba --localstatedir=/var/lib/samba \
  --with-lockdir=/var/run/samba --with-piddir=/var/run/samba \
  --with-logfilebase=/var/log/samba --with-privatedir=/etc/samba \
  --without-pam --without-pam_smbpass --without-winbind \
  --with-ssl

Maximal number of locking records while regular operation: 2000+. Current stable size of
locking.tdb: 548864, reached by 3000+ records test.

=======
Alexey