[Samba] Add Printer Wizard

Jerry Haltom jhaltom at feedbackplusinc.com
Thu Oct 30 00:21:07 GMT 2003

I'm having a bit of trouble getting a Samba printer set up.

What I have is a postscript capable HP laserjet. It actually has
IPP/HTTP and stuff on it. I need queueing to work, so my clients can't
print to it directly, so what I want to do is:

Get the printer set up on a central CUPs server: done. Printing quality
is perfect from Unix machines. Thank you postscript!

Have samba print to that printer as well, this, I have working, but it's
not pretty. The quality is horrible, and im not sure why. Things are
grainy, blocky, etc. This is printing from a Windows computer (with teh
HP laserJet PS drivers installed). Samba is messing up my image quality!
Not sure what is causing that.

I also can't seem to get the Add Printer Drivers wizard to work right. I
followed the instructions in the 3.0 howto as best as I could. My samba
"admin" user, is named "samba", he has a uid 0. It's stored in LDAP. It
works for joining computers to the domain.

I added "samba" to printer admin, and when I try to loginto a Windows
computer, as this user, and add a driver, I get: Access Denied.

I'm not sure what I'm being denied access too! This user has uid 0.

After setting all this up, can I expect queue's to be consistant? I need
to see, in the Windows queue, unix jobs submitted directly to cups. On
the cup's queue, I'd like to see window's jobs. Also, can samba be made
to spool to cups AS it's receiving from the client? We regularly print
out 900 page jobs, which take 30 pages to print from the client to the
server. If the client has to sit there and spool all 900 pages before
the job can even start, we've doubled our print time! As of now, Windows
will start printing INSTATLY upon receiving data from the client, this
may be more like "buffering" than "spooling".

Thanks for the prompt assistance.
--
Jerry Haltom <jhaltom at feedbackplusinc.com>
Feedback Plus, Inc.