[Samba] Question about logging activity

Jason Williams jwilliams at courtesymortgage.com
Tue Oct 28 19:35:07 GMT 2003

Hello everyone.

Im running Samba 2.2.8a with LDAP on the backend. We are using it as our
PDC as well as a File and Print server that holds data that is accessed by
a Windows program. Not the way I would have set it up, but what can you do
these days. :)

Anyway, I was curious if there is a way to log who accessed a file at any
given time? For instance, I want to setup a system so that I know who
accessed a file at any given time. That way, if someone blows up the file,
I can go back through my logs and find out who accessed it last.

Is this possible in Samba? Is it a recommended method? Is there a
alternative that is suggested if this is not a good idea.

Thank you for your help.

Jason