[Samba] Windows 2000 and XP Password

Ow Mun Heng ow.mun.heng at wdc.com
Mon Oct 27 03:03:33 GMT 2003

<snip>
I have been using Samba for a few years now with Windows 95 and 98
clients and have never had a problem at all. Recently I had to administer
a new network with Windows 2000 Professional and Windows XP Professional
clients. I am finding that both of these clients will not cache the network
password for very long. I find that if I reboot the clients through the day
they remake the connection to the samba server with no problems.
However when the clients are booted after being shut down for the night
the password must be entered. Is there any way to change this behaviour
as I do not want my users to have to enter any passwords to use their
network drive.

</snip>

Hmm.. that seems odd.. I have/am adminiterings small network using samba
2.2.7a-fix (RH8) on mixed windows 2000 & 98. There are occasions when the
drive/link will just be missing but a re-click on it will bring it back up..

Hence, I'm not sure why you have this problem..

Hmm...

>>However when the clients are booted after being shut down for the night
>>.the password must be entered.

based on the above sentence, I have to ask, are your clients password
syncronised to smbpasswd/LDAP/something like that? I have mine sync'ed with
smbpasswd. I find that as long as it's in-sync, there's no issues..

Cheers,
OW