[Samba] help!: session setup failed: ERRDOS

Joshua o joshua-orvis at ouhsc.edu
Thu Oct 23 19:21:44 GMT 2003

I have read the docs and I have googled, and I have been unable to fix
this problem.  I have samba 3.0 installed on RH8 and when I have
settings like:

[global]
   netbios name = DYER-PC-JO
   workgroup = DYERLAB
   server string = SMB Server Test
   security = share

[public]
   path = /tmp
   guest ok = yes
   writeable = yes

I can mount my share wonderfully in with both RH9 and OSX as clients.
But this isn't very secure, so when I change this to:

[global]
   netbios name = DYER-PC-JO
   workgroup = DYERLAB
   server string = SMB Server Test
   security = user
   encrypt passwords = yes
   smb passwd file = /usr/local/samba/private/smbpasswd

[public]
    path = /tmp
    valid users = jorvis
    writeable = yes

I can't connect in OSX or RH9.  I use this command in RH9:

[root at mylaptop samba]# smbmount //myiphere/public /mnt/public -o
username=secret,password=supersecret

but I get this error:

session setup failed: ERRDOS - ERRnoaccess (Access denied.)
SMB connection failed

I have setup the smbpasswd file, ran "smbpassword -a jorvis" and set the
password.  I have an UNIX account on both the host and client and both
have the same password.

This connection method works fine when I have security = share and guest
= ok, but I want to use user-level security.

Can anyone tell me what step I am missing?

Thanks!

Joshua Orvis