[Samba] Samba + LDAP

Adam Williams adam at morrison-ind.com
Mon Oct 20 15:02:55 GMT 2003

> >>Does anyone know if the binaries provided by the Samba team are compiled
> >>with LDAP support?  I've tried 2.2.8a and 3.0.0 for Debian, but both
> >>complain that the ldap parameters (like ldap server) for unknown.
> > Just "ldd /usr/sbin/smbd".  Is libldap in the list?  If not, than the
> > smbd isn't linked against it.  Most (all?) distributed binaries I've met
> > don't include things like ACL, LDAP, etc... support for obvious reasons
> > (least common denominator).
> Yes, I see libldap.so.2 listed in the ldd output.  I notice in the
> documentation that certain LDAP configuration options are only
> recognized if the --with-ldapsam is used at compile time.  Is there
> someplace were they list what options are used to compile the binary?
> Doesn't seem to make sense to have some LDAP options included in the
> samba build, but others (the important ones like ldap server) needing a
> compile switch but that appears to be the way it's setup (according to
> the manpages anyway).

[awilliam at estate2 awilliam]$ /usr/sbin/smbd --help
Usage: smbd [OPTION...]
  -D, --daemon                       Become a daemon (default)
  -i, --interactive                  Run interactive (not a daemon)
  -F, --foreground                   Run daemon in foreground (for
daemontools & etc)
  -S, --log-stdout                   Log to stdout
  -b, --build-options                Print build options
  -p, --port=STRING                  Listen on the specified ports
Help options:
  -?, --help                         Show this help message
  --usage                            Display brief usage message Common
samba options:
  -d, --debuglevel=DEBUGLEVEL        Set debug level
  -s, --configfile=CONFIGFILE        Use alternative configuration file
  -l, --log-basename=LOGFILEBASE     Basename for log/debug files
  -V, --version                      Print version

[awilliam at estate2 awilliam]$ /usr/sbin/smbd -b
Build environment:
   Built by:    root at estate2.morrison.iserv.net
   Built on:    Tue Sep 30 10:23:31 EDT 2003
   Built using: gcc
   Build host:  Linux estate2.morrison.iserv.net 2.4.20-20.9 #1 Mon Aug
18 11:45:58 EDT 2003 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
   SRCDIR:      /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/samba-3.........