[Samba] samba 3 in non-native ads

Rousak, Boris Boris.Rousak at actewagl.com.au
Mon Oct 20 00:41:18 GMT 2003

Greetings all,

I seem to recall that earlier (alpha, beta etc) releases of samba 3 had a
problem in that they were unable to authenticate via active directory in a
domain that was not native ads (i.e. had both NT4 PDCs and w2k DCs). I am
currently trying to get
samba-3.0.0-2 (RH 7.3 kernel 2.4.20-18.7) to do just that in a non-native
ads domain with no success, in that: I can join ads using net ads join, but
I can't authenticate user access to particular shares unless I change my
security=ads to security=domain.

Question is as follows: Am I trying to achieve the impossible here because
this feature is still not supported yet or did I get something wrong
somewhere else and this is a fully functional feature?

Thanks in advance,
Regards,
Boris

*PLEASE NOTE*  This email and any attachments may
be confidential. If received in error, please delete all
copies and advise the sender. The reproduction or
dissemination of this email or its attachments is
prohibited without the consent of the sender.

WARNING RE VIRUSES:  Our computer systems sweep
outgoing email to guard against viruses, but no warranty
is given that this email or its attachments are virus free.
Before opening or using attachments, please check for
viruses.  Our liability is limited to the re-supply of any
affected attachments.

individual sender, except where the sender expressly,
and with authority, states them to be the views of the
organisation.