[Samba] Samba 3.0, Red Hat 9, and Kerberos issues with Windows Server 2003

tvsjr tvsjr at sprynet.com
Fri Oct 17 16:20:22 GMT 2003

OK, I've put together a quick-and-dirty fix to make a Red Hat 9/Samba 3 box
talk to a Windows 2k3 box. This works for me, and it's not too terribly ugly:

Download the SRPMS for Krb5 1.3.1 for the newest Red Hat beta, Severn.
You'll also need the SRPMS for e2fsprogs.
Build e2fsprogs and update your system.
Build Krb5 1.3.1.
Uninstall all Krb5 components (server, workstation, debug, devel) except
krb5-libs-1.2.7-14 (openssl dependency)
Install new krb5 components.
You should end up with all krb5 components (don't really need debug) at
1.3.1, with an additional copy of krb5-libs-1.2.7-14.
Download Samba 3.0.1pre1 SRPM.
rpm -v samba-3.0.1pre1.src.rpm
Edit /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/samba3.spec
In the CFLAGS settings, add --with-krb5=/usr/lib
rpmbuild -bb samba3.spec
Go to /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386
Install the Samba 3.0.1pre1 RPM there.
kinit <username>
<password>
smbclient -k //yourwin2k3box/c$

And you're done. It's not pretty, and it may not be the best idea for a
crucial system, but it does work (the builds don't even complain about too
many problems!) Any suggestions/improvements would be appreciated.

Terry