[Samba] smbmount discontinued?

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Sat Nov 29 05:14:29 GMT 2003

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003, tcg wrote:

> On Wednesday 26 November 2003 08:41, Thiago Lima wrote:
> >     In a past thread I've notice that smbmount (and mount's suport for
>
> What's quoted is all I see of your post for some strange reason (both in kmail
> and evolution). I see no body at all when using sylpheed. Very strange.
> But that's not why I'm replying<g>.
> I did post a comment to the effect of "smbmount is deprecated", but that was
> just my understanding from what happens in the distro I'm using; when I type
> "smbmount" it suggests "mount -t smbfs" instead, so my assumption was that
> they were deprecating the use of "smbmount" with the replacement syntax of
> "mount -t smbfs". Apologies if I misled anyone.

mount is a front-end to smbmount when correctly called with the '-t smbfs'
parameters.

First: Please note that smbfs is a Linux kernel driver - it is not part of
Samba.

Samba ships the smbmount/smbmnt, smbumnt/smbumount front-end parsers only.
The Samba-Team do no development, and provide no maintenance support for
smbfs. If you are having smbfs problems please refer these to the Linux
kernel team.

The Linux-2.6 kernel has the new replacement for smbfs called cifsfs.

- John T.
--
John H Terpstra
Email: jht at samba.org