[Samba] Can samba do this?

Paul McCloghrie mccloghrie at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 28 12:47:16 GMT 2003

Hi all,
I don't currently run samba and I'm a bit of a novice at networking. Anyway
here is the problem.
My office/company has a fair sized windows network - 500 or so machines. For
some of my applications linux is far more useful so I want to build a
sub-network of 3-6 linux machines and connect to the windows network. The
only essential function would be file tranfer in both directions. What is
the easiest way to do this?
In my head I have a picture of a mini-network of the linux machines, one of
which is running samba and is connected directly on a machine on the windows
network but this is just a standard XP machine (the one on my desk) not a
server. I think that the machine on my desk will be able to see and write to
the linux network via network neighbourhood. Will all the linux machines be
able to write to the windows network though, or even just to my desktop
machine (NTFS discs if that makes a difference)?

Thanks for any advice, but can you make it easy start very basic because
networking is an entirely new thing for me.

Paul

PS. I'm digesting