[Samba] smbpasswd & swat doesnt run on my samba3.0???

anand narayan vidwansa anandvid at rediffmail.com
Thu Nov 27 17:06:03 GMT 2003

Hi,
     to whomever it may concern.i am a novice linux user using Redhat 8.0 on kernel 2.4.
           recently i installed samba 3.0 by compiling the sources and everything went on smoothly till installation completed successfully.
	but the samba doesnt start at all neither does the swat service.i did everything as it was adviced to do.
 *	i compiled with options ==>  --with-acl-support --with-libsmbclient --with-msdfs --with-smbmount --with-smbwrapper --with-syslog    for the configure script and then ran make and make install programs.

 *	i have a NIC with ip assigned to it but DNS is not running.

 *	my /etc/services file has the swat entry.

 *	i inserted in the /etc/xinetd.d directory the swat file containing -

	#allows an administrator to configure samba using a web
	#browser interface, with the URL http://localhost:901
	service swat
	{
		socket_type		= stream
		wait			= no
		protocol		= tcp
		only_from		= localhost
		user 			= root
		log_on_failure	        += USERID
		server			= /usr/local/samba/sbin/swat
		port			= 901
		disable			= no
	}

 *	my smb.conf file is -

	[global]
		workgroup = gp15

	[test]
		comment = For testing only, please
		path = /usr/local/samba/tmp
		read only = no
		guest ok = yes

 *	i started the smbd and nmbd daemons.

 *	but on running
			smbpasswd -a aditya
	and entering the passwords, it is giving an error as follows...

	Failed initialise SAM_ACCOUNT for user aditya.
	Failed to modify password entry for user aditya

 *	even i try to start the swat using
		http://localhost:901 in mozilla but it too gives an error as...

	www.localhost.com could not be found.please check the name and try again.

 *	my samba log files doesnt either contain anything worth mentioning here

 *	but on running the smbclient program, i get the following output...

	/usr/local/samba/bin/smbclient -U% -L localhost

        Sharename      Type      Comment
        ---------      ----      -------
        test           Disk      For testing only, please
        IPC$           IPC       IPC Service (Samba 3.0.0)
        ADMIN$         IPC       IPC Service (Samba 3.0.0)

        Server               Comment
        ---------            -------
        LOCALHOST            Samba 3.0.0

        Workgroup            Master
        GP15

 *	i also ran the testparm parser but it is also showing everything as okay.

		i dont know whats the problem.can anybody plz help me out???!!!
 			my email-id is anandvid at rediffmail.com.
				i'll be waiting for the replies...
					thank you.
					    anand