[Samba] Samba and W2K printer issues

Joe Cipale joec at aracnet.com
Wed Nov 26 17:25:58 GMT 2003

I posted this query a couple of days ago and received no responses.
SInce that time, some other info has come to light that I thought would
be useful to helping to solve this porblem.

My network consists of a firewall machine networked with a SuSE 7.2
workstation and a Windows 2000 workstation. My smb.conf file is below:
# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from 127.0.0.1 (127.0.0.1)
# Date: 2003/11/24 00:43:32

# Global parameters
[global]
        workgroup = PENGUINIX
        security = user
        browsable = yes
        guest account = guest
        encrypt passwords = yes
        ;wins service = yes
        wins support = Yes
        path = /smb/Delorme
        local master = yes

[joec]
        comment = Personal network share
        path = /smb/joec
        read only = No
[peggyc]
        comment = Personal network share
        path = /smb/peggyc
        read only = No
[pr1]
        printable = yes
        printcap name = /etc/printcap
        print command = /usr/bin/lpr -P%p -r %s
        ;printer driver = dj1
        printer = dj1
        printing = BSD
        path = /var/tmp
        valid users = joec peggyc root administrator
        min print space = 2000

I can see dj1 (linux printer - HP640c) from the Windows desktop. When I
try to print to it (i.e. test page), I receive an error spooling the
document to the printer. I am connecting the printer through an TCP/IP
port. I have checked permissions on the w2k side, and everything appears
to be setup to allow printing. When I check the status of the spool on
the linux side, the lock file is being generated, and the stauts shows
the printer as being ready and available for printing.

Joe Cipale