[Samba] samba3 with ldap: connections from WinXP and smbclient 3 are OK, but not from WinNT and smbclient 2

Thomas Scheffczyk thomas.scheffczyk at verwaltung.uni-mainz.de
Mon Nov 24 12:21:11 GMT 2003

Hello,

please excuse if this question was asked before, but I wasn't able to
find an answer for my problem in the list archive nor (with google) on a
website.

Here is my problem:

I use Samba 3 from Debian/unstable together with ldap. The ldap-server
is a NDS Server (Novell directory service/eDirectory). Authentication
works well

- with the smbclient of samba 3.x
- from Windows2000 with EnablePlainTextPassword enabled in the registry
- from WindowsXP with RequireSignOrSeal disabled

but it fails with the error message "session setup failed:
NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE" for the same account

- with the smbclient of samba 2.x
- from WinNT with or without PlainPasswords enabled in the registry

I checked the ldap requests with ethereal: in all cases it's the same
request and the same response, except that requests from the first group
uses unicode encoded and the latter ansi encoded passwords. I'm not sure
if the login failure is caused by this difference. I would like to check
it, but I don't know how to change this settings. Does anybody else know?

But I guess that I didn't find the necessary settings to make samba 3
accepting logins from WinNT and the older smbclient at all. Could
anybody point to a documentation of this topic or give me hints how to
solve this problem?

TIA

Thomas

--

Johannes Gutenberg-Universitaet Mainz - EDV-Abteilung der Verwaltung