[Samba] Still trying to backup 66 GB from LINUX to W2K ***

James Courtier-Dutton James at superbug.demon.co.uk
Mon Nov 24 00:28:29 GMT 2003

tcg wrote:
> On Sunday 23 November 2003 17:43, Carsten Loeffler wrote:
>
>>To verify that this is not just a simple tar or whatever problem
>>tonight from my Linux box I made a "dd" and tried to create
>>a file larger than 4 gb on my Windows box.
>>
>>And again I've received "File size limit exceeded"
>>At that byte-count: 2.147.483.647 Bytes. BUT: there's nothing in
>>the samba actionlog. I only found a message about mounting the
>>share.

2147483647 is 0x7FFFFFFF in hex.

This is the max size of a 32bit signed integer.
I am not sure if it is windows or linux that has the problem, but I
think the kernel smbfs is the problem here.

I know that some linux ftpd programs also have this limit.
I use vsftpd which does not have this 2Gb Limit.

There might be a patch somewhere to fix the linux kernel smbfs limits.

Cheers
James