[Samba] Still trying to backup 66 GB from LINUX to W2K ***

tcg noreply at invalid.com
Sun Nov 23 23:19:50 GMT 2003

On Sunday 23 November 2003 17:43, Carsten Loeffler wrote:
> To verify that this is not just a simple tar or whatever problem
> tonight from my Linux box I made a "dd" and tried to create
> a file larger than 4 gb on my Windows box.
>
> And again I've received "File size limit exceeded"
> At that byte-count: 2.147.483.647 Bytes. BUT: there's nothing in
> the samba actionlog. I only found a message about mounting the
> share.

I believe it has been mentioned earlier, so please pardon me if I'm mistaken,
but it seems that you are using smbfs to connect to your Windows share. In
other words you are mounting the share with something like "mount -t smbfs -o
username=tridge,password=foobar //fjall/test /data/test" (smbmount is
deprecated) either manually, via fstab, or in a script. As has been already
stated this will not work for such large files as smbfs does not currently
support > 2GB.

Try taking a file large than 2GB (even 66GB) and copy it from you linux box to
your Windows share via smbclient; connect with "smbclient //fjall/test -U
tridge%foobar" then use "put" at the  "smb:" prompt to copy the file. Are
your results any different (they should be)?

--
Chris

Do not reply to the email address.
Please use the contact page below for any desired direct replies.
Apologies for the inconvenience.

realcomputerguy dot com slash contact dot html