[Samba] Guest Share Access Fails for Win XP Client

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Sun Nov 23 07:45:45 GMT 2003

Paul Kerin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to set up a transfer area between my RH9 box and my WXP box.
> Preferably no password would be required on the WXP box, but I'll take
> anything after the ridiculous amount of time I've spent on this.  If
> anyone can help I'd really appreciate it.  At this point I'd be willing
> to offer my first born child as a reward. And I'll throw in my mother in
> law free. :)

Does the unix user 'nobody' have access to the directory in question? A
public-upload directory should have read, write, and execute permissions
for everybody (e.g. drwxrwxrwx).

If that doesn't work, try setting 'log level = 2' in your smb.conf and
looking in the smbd log file (something like /var/log/samba/log.smbd).
See what error the server gives when you try to access the share from
the Windows box.

-Corey