[Samba] Can't join my domain

Fran Fabrizio fran at cis.uab.edu
Sun Nov 23 07:08:09 GMT 2003

Day 2 of my adventure into Samba.  Having had such success with
workgroup-based Samba, it was time to try Samba as a PDC.  Unfortunately,
it got cut short very quickly because I am not able to log into the domain
from the XP client.

I took the following steps (I'm using Samba 3.0):

- modified my smb.conf as per instructions in O'Reilly Using Samba, 2nd
Ed.  (I think this may be part of the problem - see below)
- ran 'smbpasswd -a root' giving the account a password different than the
real root password
- restarted the daemons
- hacked my XP registry to turn off the signorseal bit
- rebooted XP
- logged into XP with my administrator account
- control panel, system, computer name, change, enter name of my domain to
join,click ok, user/pass dialog pops up
- tried 'root' with the samba password i created above, not the real root
password, and get the following WinXP error message dialog:

The following error occurred attempting to join the domain "CISSAMBA"
The user name could not be found

checking the log files on the linux server, I see nothing unusual.

I investigated and learned from testparm that Samba 3.0 no longer
understands "domain admin group" as an smb.conf parameter (so much for
Using Samba's claim that it covers Samba 2.2 and 3.0 :-(

So I poked around the web and the samba site and tried the sample smb.conf
from the official HOWTO, which seemed to replace the old "domain admin
group" with a "write list" in the [netlogon] section.  I tried "write list
= root" in there, but it's still giving me the same error.  What's the
proper way to set this up on Samba 3.0?  Here is my smb.conf...

[global]
   netbios name = ds119b
   workgroup = cissamba
   wins support  = yes
   encrypt passwords = yes
   domain master = yes
   local master = yes
   preferred master = yes
   os level = 65
   security = user
   domain logons = yes
   logon path = \\%L\profiles\%u\%m
   logon script = logon.bat
   logon drive = H:
   logon home = \\%L\%u\.win_profile\%m
   time server = yes
   ;domain admin group = root    ; book says to do this but is invalid for
Samba 3.0
   add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd  -d /dev/null -g 100 -s /bin/false -M %u

[netlogon]
   path = /usr/local/samba/lib/netlogon
   writable = no
   browsable = no