[Samba] A device attached to the system is not functioning.

Bruce Shaw Bruce.Shaw at gov.ab.ca
Fri Nov 21 17:53:06 GMT 2003

I'm attempting to access a Solaris server (bart) which was previously a
member of an NT resource domain running SAMBA 2.2.1a after it has been
upgraded to SAMBA 3.0.1pre3.  When I attempt to browse it with a Windows
2000 workstation, I get a box saying:

\\bart is not accessible.

A device attached to the system is not functioning.

if a do smbclient -U (my account) -L bart

it returns

session setup failed:  NT_STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL.

smbd.log reports

open_sockets_smbd: accept:  Software caused connection abort.

I get a logfile for my IP address that reports

lib/util_sock.c:get_peer_addr(940)
getppername failed.  Error was Transport endpoint is not connected

What's wrong?

addressed, and may contain confidential, personal and or privileged
recipient of this communication, and do not copy, distribute, or take action
relying on it. Any communication received in error, or subsequent reply,
should be deleted or destroyed.