[Samba] Printing on Samba with WinNT...

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Thu Nov 20 15:29:34 GMT 2003

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003, Rainer Hantsch wrote:

> Hi, John!
>
> Thanks a lot for your answer. Does this also work with Samba 2.2.5, or is this
> only possible with Samba 3? (I am not really interested in investing a lot of
> work only for getting one printer working...)

Both 2.2.x and 3.0.x.

> I have an older book from SuSE. This one does not have this inside. Is your
> book available? (Details for ordering? Price? ISBN-Number?)

Publisher: Prentice Hall PTR; (October 2003)
ISBN: 0131453556
Available from Amazon.Com, Price: Recommended $49.95, Actual varies -
currently about $39

> On Thu, 20 Nov 2003, John H Terpstra wrote:
> | Rainer,
> |
> | In the book, The Official Samba-3 HOWTO and Reference Guide, in chapter 2
> | we have provided specific examples of how you can do this. This material
> | is not yet in the Samba-HOWTO-Collection.pdf (it will be released there in
> | April next year).
> |
> | The following config file is all you need to create an anonymous file
> | server (it is from the book):
> |
> | [global]
> | 	workgroup = MIDEARTH
> | 	netbios name = HOBBIT
> | 	security = share
> |
> | [data]
> | 	path = /export
> | 	read only = No
> | 	guest only = Yes
> |

> | The following gives you an anonymous print server:
> |
> | [global]
> | 	workgroup = MIDEARTH
> | 	netbios name = LUTHIEN
> | 	security = share
> | 	printcap = /etc/printcap
> | 	show add printer wizard = No
> | 	prinitng = BSD
> |
> | [printers]
> | 	path = /var/spool/samba
> | 	guest ok = Yes
> | 	printable = Yes
> | 	use client driver = Yes
> | 	browseable = No
> |
> | An anonymous server is one that will take any connection, as any user, and
> | provides unrestricted access - subject of course to file system
> | permissions.
> |
> | In addition to these configuration files you will need to set up file
> | system permissions and correct file and directory ownership. The book
> | explains this in detail.
>
> Tanks, this was basically what I was searching for all the time.
>
> | Please do not complain at the subscribers on this list for not anwering
> | your request. Noone owes anyone an answer. Usually, when someone receives
> | no answer it has something to do with the way the request was made. It
> | pays to lurk around and observe how others interact before jumping in with
> | a request that will take someone significant time to answer.
>
> I know that noone owes an answer to anyone, but get into my situation:
> You have some angry people sitting in your neck, permamently telling you that
> they still cannot do this and that. Googleing around results in useless
> things. Finally you decide to subscribe this list to get help, ask more than 3
> times - in kindly words - and get no useful answer, if any, only suggestions
> which sound in the best meaning as patches.  :-/
> Anyway, I beg your pardon.

This is a volunteer list. I spend over 3 hours per day helping people. It
would take an army of people like me to answer fully all requests we
receive. That means that many questions go unanswered. We would all like
to see more help activity.

A significant number of people subscribe to this list in the hope of
getting a quick and painless answer to their spacific problem. It may take
someone 15-30 minutes to think through what they want and to offer a
simple reply. The alternatives to do this are:

	1. Do not repsond - leave the person to sort their own way through
		our documentation. Usualy, that does cause frustration.

	2. Point them to the HOWTO - but that irritates someone who just
		wants an instant answer so they can get on with life.

We would love to learn what can be done to provide perfect documentation
so that everyone can find instant answers. :-)) Until that time, the best
advice is that there is no substitute for doing your own research - and I
do not mean to offend with that statement.

- John T.
--
John H Terpstra
Email: jht at samba.org