[Samba] simple question concerning update 2.2.8 to 3

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Thu Nov 20 11:11:01 GMT 2003

> [Samba] simple question concerning update 2.2.8 to 3
>
>     * To: samba at listsdotsambadotorg
>     * Subject: [Samba] simple question concerning update 2.2.8 to 3
>     * From: Götz Reinicke <goetzdotreinicke at filmakademiedotde>
>     * Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 10:05:06 +0100
>
> Hi,
>
> we run a RH 9 Server with samba 2.2.8 as a PDC. Win 2K/XP Clients can log in without a problem, logonscripts work fine.
>
> Now I'd like to update to Fedoroa Core 1 with Samba 3.0.0.
>
> I have read the update chapter of the "The Official Samba-3 HOWTO", but have the simple questions:
>
> will the new samba server work "out of the box" with the "old" configuration, so I can addjust the changed/new parameters at a later time?

This cannot be answered categorically.

This depends entirely on your actual smb.conf. If you make
use of now removed parameters it will obviously not work the
same way any more.

"The proof of the pudding lies in the eating."

> Or will I have to change the changed/new options in advance?

This sounds to me to be a more responsible approach. I don't know
how "mission critical" your Samba service is to your institution,
but probably you want to do a few Samba-3.0 tests in a separate test
environment...

> So is there a step by step how to upgrade?01

I am not aware of one.

Just one hint: Use "testparm". And be aware that the syntax to use
it has slightly changed from 2.2.x to 3.0.

2.2.x testparm would give you the actual config as used by Samba
(including all the default setting compiled in)

3.0. testparm needs to be called with a "-v" parameter to give you
the same style output.

I'd suggest to re-direct your current config (full scope) into
a file:

    testparm > testparm2.smb228.txt   (hit ENTER twice)

Then transfer your current smb.conf onto your Samba-3.0 testbox,
under the name of "smb.conf.228". Here you can again run "testparm"
against this file and re-direct the output for extensive studies:

    testparm -v smb.conf.228 > testparm3.smb228.txt  (hit ENTER twice)

(Again, note the use of the "-v" parameter).
The name "testparm3.smb228.txt" should indicate that it was generated
on Samba 3.0 by using testparm version 3.0, and that it used the "old"
2.2.8 smb.conf.

That way you should quickly be able to spot the soft points of
your configuration and modify it accordingly.

> Thanks for any comments and hints!
>
> so long...
> ...Götz Reinicke

Cheers,