[Samba] Having Samba integrate/replace existing mixed Unix/Windows network

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Thu Nov 20 08:08:35 GMT 2003

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003, Fran Fabrizio wrote:

> Sorry if I came off as wanting Samba to be a clone of AD - not at all the
> case.  :-)  In fact, I speak as someone who has -never- admin'ed a Windows
> network, has no idea what AD is capable of, etc.... I've spent all of 5
> minutes in front of an AD server, and that's about it.  I suddenly find
> this network dropped in my lap and need to solve these problems
> quickly.  My interest in minimizing the role of AD is as much about
> self-preservation as anything else. :-)

What a great opportunity to learn. The problem you will find is that
Microsoft Windows will be very opaque to you until you understand it. The
learning curve is significant. Once you have mastered MS Windows, Samba
really is a cinch.

> All I'm trying to assure is that the types of things that we -do- rely on
> AD for right now can be sufficently replaced by some alternative
> functionality that Samba provides.  It certainly sounds like this is the
> case.  I just think that either the language of that excerpt was a little
> vague, or (more likely) it's my fault for jumping right to that section and
> thus not realizing that the context was "XP operating natively as a member
> of an AD domain", and that there were other options available.

I've had enough of the feedback that says:

	1. Samba-3 can not do Win2K ADS
	2. I need ADS
	3. Therefore Samba is not good enough

ADS is just one solution to a particular problem. Samba provides another.
Each has its own strengths and weaknesses. There are no silver bullets and
no panaceas.

> I think the angle that I want to see is this - I think there are a lot of
> people like me who are traditionally on the Unix/Linux side of the fence,
> and are suddenly faced with people wanting Windows clients (or inheriting
> such a network).  Instead of embracing that, they fear it, they wall it
> off, they make Windows it's own world and their network suffers for it.  So
> the angle I want is "Samba: Making Windows Play In Unix's Ballpark" (as
> opposed to how Samba is more often billed at making Unix play more nicely
> on a Windows network or appear more like a Windows network....it's a blurry
> distinction but one which does make things less transparent for me).  You'd
> be surprised (well maybe not -you- seeing as how you've already seen the
> need for more documentation on this topic) at how most literature on Samba
> sort of touches on these topics, but ultimately dances around them, or
> fails to answer them concisely all in one place.

Become a writer. Write more Samba books. Explain it all to the masses.
We are doing our best (all the contributors to the HOWTOs), and believe me
- it's not enough and it never will be. I am writing another book, this
one will be a prescriptive guide to deploying Samba. It will have
step-by-step implementations of working solutions. It will explain the
nuts and bolts of the logic behind the configuration, but it will refer
you to the HOWTO for further information.

The HOWTO is the reference document. The new book will be prescriptive -
if you want this working configuration follow the following steps line by
line. Two different books - totally differet purposes - complementary, not
necessarily stand-alone.

> I have enough info to start playing with things - I am currently setting up
> a testbed consisting of a Linux laptop with a VMWare'd Windows XP on it.  I
> will be sure to document the project and share that documentation with this
> list.  Thanks for the kick-start and the assurance that what I will end up
> with will be highly functional.  :-)

The HOWTO (as with the book version)  has two chapters that you may want
to refer to: One on policies, the other on desktop profiles.

Cheers,
John T.

--
John H Terpstra