[Samba] Samba 3.0 and the HP PSC 750 printer (printing over cups)

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Wed Nov 19 14:34:05 GMT 2003

> [Samba] Samba 3.0 and the HP PSC 750 printer (printing over cups)
>
>     * To: samba at listsdotsambadotorg
>     * Subject: [Samba] Samba 3.0 and the HP PSC 750 printer (printing over cups)
>     * From: "Grosswiler Roger" <roger at gwchdotnet>
>     * Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 13:34:27 +0100 (CET)
>
> hi all,
>
> i have samba 3.0 on a fedora-linux running. almost everyting works fine,
> except one printer, my hp psc 750 (connected via usb) is not printing via
> samba.
>
> I get pages printed (via cups or whatever) if i print from the localhost.
>
> So, here a few data from my smb.conf:
>    printcap name = cups
>    printing = cups
>    load printers = yes
> [printers]
>    comment = All Printers
>    path = /var/spool/samba
>    browseable = no
> # Set public = yes to allow user 'guest account' to print
>    public = yes
>    guest ok = yes
>    writable = no
>    printable = yes
>
> any idea??

If there is a "PPD" file involved with your printing setup,
have you by any chance checked it against the online CUPS PPD
validator? See here:

   http://www.cups.org/testppd

or run the "cupstestppd" program yourself....

Which version of CUPS are you using? Which drivers are you
using on the Windows client side?

If you are using by any chance the "client sends PostScript,
CUPS converts for non-PS target printer"-approach, then:
which PostScript driver are you using on the clients?

There is a little issue with the PPD generated by PPD-o-matic
(on http://www.linuxprinting.org/): The user visible translation
strings, indicating the print options for the various GUIs, may
contain more than 40 characters (which is "legal" according to
the Adobe PPD specification), but the CUPS PostScript driver for
WinNT/2k/XP does not correctly work with these PPDs....

There are 3 possible workarounds:

  * enable the checkbox of the online-PPD-generator at Linuxprinting.org
    to limit the strings to 40 chars per line and generate a new PPD
    for the  HP PSC 750:

      http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_driver.cgi?driver=hpijs
      (don't forget to check the "GUI texts limited to 39 characters" box!)

  * use the Adobe PostScript drivers instead of the CUPS PostScript
    driver (may give you some other drawbacks)

  * upgrade to the current RC1 of the version 5 of the CUPS PostScript
    driver (which now is digesting 80 characters per string)

Cheers,
Kurt