[Samba] Samba opens many files.

Eric Roseme eroseme at emonster.rose.hp.com
Wed Nov 19 01:42:16 GMT 2003

I agree that it's a silly way to organize things, but there are many CAD
customers serving legacy NFS design environments that are experiencing
this issue daily.  This single problem will cause more migrations from
Samba to Windows that any other I have seen - at least for big iron.  I
have been trying to find ways to mitigate the effect - and certainly
turning off mangling helps (I have seen VERYlongFILEname1234.PARTname -
and 12,000 of these).  Also setting "case sensitive = yes" helps a
little bit.  But we can't get past doing what appears to be multiple
stats for each object.  Any creative suggestions are welcome.