[Samba] Samba opens many files.

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Wed Nov 19 01:57:24 GMT 2003

On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 05:42:16PM -0800, Eric Roseme wrote:
> I agree that it's a silly way to organize things, but there are many CAD
> customers serving legacy NFS design environments that are experiencing
> this issue daily.  This single problem will cause more migrations from
> Samba to Windows that any other I have seen - at least for big iron.  I
> have been trying to find ways to mitigate the effect - and certainly
> turning off mangling helps (I have seen VERYlongFILEname1234.PARTname -
> and 12,000 of these).  Also setting "case sensitive = yes" helps a
> little bit.  But we can't get past doing what appears to be multiple
> stats for each object.  Any creative suggestions are welcome.

Fix the filesystem so that large directories are efficient.
XFS is better in this respect I believe. Don't give me these
doomsday scenarios, if the customers think Windows does this
better, good luck to them there's nothing Samba can do in this
respect. We have to stat/read the file as it's what explorer
is asking for. Just tell them to keep their anti-virus software
up to date.....

Jeremy.