[Samba] Re: [Bug?Report] ldapsam duplication of output if two ldapsam sources

Jérôme Fenal jerome.fenal at logicacmg.com
Tue Nov 18 09:59:57 GMT 2003

Andrew Bartlett wrote:

> On Tue, 2003-11-18 at 20:22, Jérôme Fenal wrote:
>
>>Goog morning,
>>
>>First of all, my setup :
>>- Samba 3.0.1pre1 to Samba 3.0.1pre3 (RPM home recompiled from samba.org
>>   SRPM);
>>- OpenLDAP 2.0.27 (stock RH9) + Solaris RootDSE patch, all on RH9;
>>- Two LDAP servers (one master, one slave, replication of all the base);
>>- Samba setup as PDC + BDC, using Samba3 LDAP schema.
>

>>So I know I can avoid the problem by not specifying two sources, but I'd
>>prefer setting both, for availability reasons.
>

> So use this syntax instead:
>
> passdb backend = ldapsam:"ldap://server1 ldap://server2"

Should have re-read the Samba Howto twice (;-) before typing this line.

> This gives the problem to the LDAP libraries, which may or may not know
> how to handle server-failover.  (But it works very well for OpenLDAP).

Which is what I want. And I confirm that it works with my old OpenLDAP.

> If you specify two ldapsam entires, you are really saying that you have
> two distinct databases you wish to combine.

That could be nice in some setups.

Could this be included in the FAQ or better, in a note in the HOWTO
telling not to do it ?

Regards, and thanks for the (so) quick answer,

Jérôme

--
Jérôme Fenal - Consultant Unix/SAN/Logiciel Libre
Groupe Expert & Managed Services - LogicaCMG France