[Samba] Linux Active Directory Login

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Tue Nov 18 02:44:45 GMT 2003

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003, Kenneth Savoy wrote:

> Im using Samba 3.0.0 and I am trying to get my Redhat 9 workstations to use
> a Windows 2003 Active Directory server for authentication. Using LDAP for
> auth.
>
> I issue this command net rpc join -S <MYPDCDOMAINNAME> -U <MYADMINACCT>
>
> I get joined the domain <MYDOMAIN>
>
> winbindd does start
>
> I issue wbinfo -u and it shows all the users on the domain.
> I issue wbinfo -g and it shows all the groups on the domain
> I issue getent passwd and it shows all the users in UNIX format
>
> I start smb daemons in this order
> smbd,nmbd,winbindd
>
> I can see the users and groups but I can't login with them. Any suggestions?
> If i do su <user> It returns user does not exist.

Have you configured PAM for winbind?

It's documented in the Samba-HOWTO-Collection.pdf. If you haven't checked
that you can obtain it from:
	http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/Samba-HOWTO-Collection.pdf

The chapters you want are called Winbind: Use of Domain Accounts, and PAM:
Distributed Authentication.

If you have already read this, perhaps you can post your /etc/pam.d/login
file.

Cheers,
John T.

--