[Samba] Linux Active Directory Login

Kenneth Savoy kensavoy at nbnet.nb.ca
Tue Nov 18 01:48:04 GMT 2003

Im using Samba 3.0.0 and I am trying to get my Redhat 9 workstations to use
a Windows 2003 Active Directory server for authentication. Using LDAP for
auth.

I issue this command net rpc join -S <MYPDCDOMAINNAME> -U <MYADMINACCT>

I get joined the domain <MYDOMAIN>

winbindd does start

I issue wbinfo -u and it shows all the users on the domain.
I issue wbinfo -g and it shows all the groups on the domain
I issue getent passwd and it shows all the users in UNIX format

I start smb daemons in this order
smbd,nmbd,winbindd

I can see the users and groups but I can't login with them. Any suggestions?
If i do su <user> It returns user does not exist.

My smb.conf and nsswitch.conf are below

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# Global parameters
[global]
 workgroup = <MYPDCDOMAINNAME>
 netbios name = IBPS12
 server string = clients12
 security = DOMAIN
 password server = <MYPDCDOMAINNAME>
 idmap uid = 10000-20000
 idmap gid = 10000-20000

# /etc/nsswitch.conf

# To use db, put the "db" in front of "files" for entries you want to be
# looked up first in the databases
#
# Example:
#passwd:    db files nisplus nis
#shadow:    db files nisplus nis
#group:     db files nisplus nis

passwd:     files winbind
shadow:     files
group:      files winbind

#hosts:     db files nisplus nis dns
#hosts:      files winbind dns

# Example - obey only what nisplus tells us...
#services:   nisplus [NOTFOUND=return] files
#networks:   nisplus [NOTFOUND=return] files
#protocols:  nisplus [NOTFOUND=return] files
#rpc:        nisplus [NOTFOUND=return] files
#ethers:     nisplus [NOTFOUND=return] files
#netmasks:   nisplus [NOTFOUND=return] files

#bootparams: nis [NOTFOUND=return] files

ethers:     files
netmasks:   files
networks:   files
protocols:  files