[Samba] Samba 3 and CUPs printer causes explorer to abend

Orwig, Paul PORWIG at PacificLife.com
Mon Nov 17 21:17:20 GMT 2003

Funny you mention that...
I am using your Prentice-Hall book "The Official Samba-3 HOWTO and Reference
Guide" Chapter 18 of which covers CUPS.
My process thus far has been:
	1) Download the RedHat 9 ISO images and create install media
	2) Install RedHat 9
	3) Setup CUPS (I even downloaded the latest version at that time)
	4) I used the redhat printconf-gui program to configure a few
printers and verified that CUPS to these printers worked. I also used the
CUPS web gui to configure a "raw" printer. (Printers are configured with the
Jetdirect interface and not forced to popstscript.)
	5) Downloaded the "Released" version of SAMBA 3.0 (RPM from
samba.org)
	6) Attempted to get Samba and Winbindd to work with Active
Directory. ( Topic for another discussion)
	7) Reverted to NTLM. Successfully see printers on Network
Neighborhood.
	8) Following the HOWTO procedure, uploaded printer drivers to the
Samba server.
	   (i.e. create the /etc/samba/drivers and /etc/samba/driver/W32X86
directories. used vi to add the [print$] section to smb.conf. From my W2k
system, use My Network Places-->Entire Network-->Microsoft Windows Network
to get to the samba server. I right-click on the server and click explore to
open an explorer window. Double-click the Printers folder. Then right click
a printer and choose properties.
At this point, any printer that has had the driver uploaded becomes a
Microsoft bomb; causing an abend on a) Windows Explorer and b) Internet
explorer.
Samba and CUPS were both installed as RPMs. SWAT was used to configure
Samba.
NOTE: The /etc/samba/drivers/W32X86 directory is populated.
Also, for security reasons we do not allow the root user to be active on the
Windows domain, therefore the drivers were uploaded using my userid. Access
to the printers has used the same userid.

I tend to not use beta and pre-release software because they are not
"certified" as stable.
I have a hard sell to get my managers to consider trying open source
software as this is very much a Microsoft shop.
My reason for using Samba-3 is to be able to work under Active Directory. I
have another test server I will use to work out the problems with winbind. (
This is a proof of concept project that has dragged on for 8 weeks due
mostly to foot dragging on the Microsoft side of the shop.)