[Samba] Backup from Linux onto Win2K-share

Carsten.Loeffler at command.de Carsten.Loeffler at command.de
Mon Nov 17 22:04:46 GMT 2003

Hi!

>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>Guten Tag CarstendotLoeffler at commanddotde,>
>
>am Montag, 17. November 2003 um 16:43 schrieben Sie:>
>
>CLcd> Stefan, thanks for your ongoing support. I believe your
mothertongue>
>CLcd> is German as well but I will go on writing in English so everybody
>CLcd> can participate
>So it is, I am from Austria.
>CLcd> % What do your logfiles tell you when you try this? Set loglevel to
2
>CLcd> % and look that up.
>CLcd> Good idea. I did not know that there are any logfiles.
>CLcd> Can you give me a hint how to switch them on or switch
>CLcd> them to level 2? Thanks.
>Look into your smb.conf. Look for the option
>log level =
>Set it to
>log level = 2
>if it ain´t that already.
>Also look for
>log file =
>to find out where the log files are written to.
>Usually this is something like /var/log/samba/log.smbd or
>/var/log/samba/<clientname>.
>---
>Reading those files will tell us much more about what´s going on.

OK. I will try to do this tomorrow.

>CLcd> % Off topic: Why not use Linux w/ Samba as backup-server?
>CLcd> Yippie. I was wondering how long it might take before this question
>CLcd> will come up. Yes, I did. And: the other way around may work (see a
>CLcd> little later in that mail).
>CLcd> BUT: I HAVE TO USE WINDOWS. (to many arguments in this company to
tell).

>Acknowledged for now.

CLcd> % Can you create a db-backup-file on a local partition of that
machine?
CLcd> Not yet anymore. The db exceeded the 50 % limit of the harddrive 2
weeks
CLcd> ago. Right now the only backup I can do is on tape. This is not
CLcd> working as well; but that's a different story. But before that date
CLcd> (it was shortly after installation of the db) we made a backup on
CLcd> harddrive. That worked out fine. With samba I've created a share on
CLcd> LINUX to access the backup's folder and we were able to squeeze the
CLcd> 55 GB out of the box. But that option is not available to me anymore.

>Can you use a NFS-share to dump your db to? Just to verify NOW.
>
>btw, which part of the process gives you the "filesize exceeded"?
>And how is the SAP-backup done exactly? I assume it is using some kind
>of tar...
>Which version of tar are you using? Upgrade to the latest (or some
>newer one) and try again.

Ive tried NFS as well. Same situation but it stops at a different
size; I think it was 2 GB (4 GB with Samba)
I dont know which process gives me the "filesize exceeded"; how
can I find out? I get this if try to use a "cp" (copy) with a
file larger than 4 GB exactly in that Moment when it reaches the
magic border. In case of using SAPDB I get an error from the
database saying "Broken Connection". When I examine the datafile
already backed up on the Windows box it has - surprisingly - again
the magic filesize.
I think that SAP Backup uses some kind of "internal TAR" because in
case running SAPDB under Windows there is no OS-driven "TAR". But
may be you are right. Right now I dont know how to figure out.
Anyway: I cannot tell SAPDB to use a different TAR. Ive already
thought about using STAR.

CLcd> Stefan, do you think there may be a "switch" in the kernel, or
CLcd> something with my GLIBC? I've found some people telling others to
CLcd> create a new kernel with a new GLIBC?!?! I dont know if that really
CLcd> makes sense. In my eyes I would have made more sense to choose a
CLcd> newer version of SAMBA.

>I don´t KNOW this exactly but your kernel seems to be young enough to
>support that.
>Could be that your ext2-subsystem is too old to support.
>Please try logging first, report to the list.

OK. But to let you know: I'm using EXT3. At home Ive tried REISERFS
and there it happened too.

>If this doesn´t lead to something useful, we can trace the ext-path
>off-list.
>CLcd> I'm trying to keep my head up. With Linux books .... ;-)
>that´s the way to learn.

Neverending Process...    ;-)

>Stefan G. Weichinger
>mailto:monitor at oopsdotcodotat

Kind Regards,
Carsten

 This message is intended for the addressee or its representative only.
  Any form of unauthorized use, publication, reproduction, copying or
  disclosure of the content of this e-mail is not permitted. If you are not
  the intended recipient of this e-mail message and its contents, please
  notify the sender immediately and delete this message and all its
  attachments subsequently.

  command ag