[Samba] XP issue solved, another question arises

Eric Geater 11/10/03 egeater at mscoinc.com
Mon Nov 17 20:01:00 GMT 2003

"Since you don't provide any config details this is all help you can
expect here. No idea why your W2K can access the share."

I suspected, in retrospect, that it might have been a "joined to
workgroup, not the domain" issue for the Win2k box, but I just looked at
the machine, and it IS logged onto the domain.  Scratch that...

Anyway, apparently it's now a non-issue.  I began experimenting with the
"net" command (which, unbeknownst to the world's Samba3 documents, is
actually named "net3", but I digress).  I tweaked the smb.conf file to
reflect "security = domain", a few other items of interest, then
restarted the smb3 service.  Finally, I used the "net3 join..."
suggestion, and made it to the domain.  All computers can see the system
now.

My next question is how to a) remove Samba 2.2.7, and/or b) rename
Samba3 and its components to something that doesn't require that
dastardly "3" at the end of every program name.  Any idears?

Thanks
Eric