[Samba] 2k and 9x connect and print, XP won't

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Mon Nov 17 18:09:20 GMT 2003

> [Samba] 2k and 9x connect and print, XP won't
>
>     * To: "'Samba Mailing List'" <samba at listsdotsambadotorg>
>     * Subject: [Samba] 2k and 9x connect and print, XP won't
>     * From: "Eric Geater 11/10/03" <egeater at mscoincdotcom>
>     * Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 09:58:24 -0600
>
> Good day!
>
> I am running Samba3 on a Mandrake 9.1 box.  Right now, I have "security
> = user", but am not using any password authentication yet.  I have 95
> and 98 computers that can reach the shares available and print to the
> installed printer, and even a Windows 2000 user can do all of this.
> However, an XP computer I have can't go there.  I double-click
> "DRAKEJAX" (the netbios name), and it prompts me for a username and
> password.

"security = user" *is* telling Samba to ask for username/password-type
authentication.

By default, WinXP uses the loginname of the user to try and authenticate
to a remote service like Samba. If that doesn't work, you get the prompt.

You can try this:

   * check if a user named "nobody" is set up on your system
   * set "guest user = nobody" in smb.conf
   * set "map to guest = bad user" in smb.conf

This will automatically use the "nobody" credentials (=guest) and
remove the prompt. Read what "man smb.conf" has to say about "map
to guest = bad user"!

Since you don't provide any config details this is all help you
can expect here. No idea why your W2K can access the share.