[Samba] Backup from Linux onto Win2K-share

Stefan G. Weichinger monitor at oops.co.at
Mon Nov 17 16:04:50 GMT 2003

Guten Tag Carsten.Loeffler at command.de,

am Montag, 17. November 2003 um 16:43 schrieben Sie:

CLcd> Stefan, thanks for your ongoing support. I believe your mothertongue
CLcd> is German as well but I will go on writing in English so everybody
CLcd> can participate

So it is, I am from Austria.

CLcd> % What do your logfiles tell you when you try this? Set loglevel to 2
CLcd> % and look that up.

CLcd> Good idea. I did not know that there are any logfiles.
CLcd> Can you give me a hint how to switch them on or switch
CLcd> them to level 2? Thanks.

Look into your smb.conf. Look for the option

log level =

Set it to

log level = 2

if it ain´t that already.

Also look for

log file =

to find out where the log files are written to.

Usually this is something like /var/log/samba/log.smbd or
/var/log/samba/<clientname>.

---

Reading those files will tell us much more about what´s going on.

CLcd> % Off topic: Why not use Linux w/ Samba as backup-server?

CLcd> Yippie. I was wondering how long it might take before this question
CLcd> will come up. Yes, I did. And: the other way around may work (see a
CLcd> little later in that mail).
CLcd> BUT: I HAVE TO USE WINDOWS. (to many arguments in this company to tell).

Acknowledged for now.

CLcd> % Can you create a db-backup-file on a local partition of that machine?

CLcd> Not yet anymore. The db exceeded the 50 % limit of the harddrive 2 weeks
CLcd> ago. Right now the only backup I can do is on tape. This is not
CLcd> working as well; but that's a different story. But before that date
CLcd> (it was shortly after installation of the db) we made a backup on
CLcd> harddrive. That worked out fine. With samba I've created a share on
CLcd> LINUX to access the backup's folder and we were able to squeeze the
CLcd> 55 GB out of the box. But that option is not available to me anymore.

Can you use a NFS-share to dump your db to? Just to verify NOW.

btw, which part of the process gives you the "filesize exceeded"?

And how is the SAP-backup done exactly? I assume it is using some kind
of tar...

Which version of tar are you using? Upgrade to the latest (or some
newer one) and try again.

CLcd> Stefan, do you think there may be a "switch" in the kernel, or
CLcd> something with my GLIBC? I've found some people telling others to
CLcd> create a new kernel with a new GLIBC?!?! I dont know if that really
CLcd> makes sense. In my eyes I would have made more sense to choose a
CLcd> newer version of SAMBA.

I don´t KNOW this exactly but your kernel seems to be young enough to
support that.

Could be that your ext2-subsystem is too old to support.
Please try logging first, report to the list.

If this doesn´t lead to something useful, we can trace the ext-path
off-list.

CLcd> I'm trying to keep my head up. With Linux books .... ;-)

that´s the way to learn.

Stefan G. Weichinger
mailto:monitor at oops.co.at