[Samba] Backup from Linux onto Win2K-share

Carsten.Loeffler at command.de Carsten.Loeffler at command.de
Mon Nov 17 15:43:27 GMT 2003

Hi.

Stefan, thanks for your ongoing support. I believe your mothertongue
is German as well but I will go on writing in English so everybody
can participate

In meantime I found in several other newsgroups that I'm not the only
one, but I did not find a solution)

>Hey, Carsten,
>
> am Montag, 17. November 2003 um 12:28 hast Du geschrieben:
> No, I'm not really "taring". Right now I'm using following command to
mount
> a share on the windows box:
>
> smbmount //ntsrvsr3/cmdhp5 /mnt/backupsmb -o username=kwhadm,dmask=777
>
> I also tried "mount -f smbfs ...."; but this failed as well.

% What do your logfiles tell you when you try this? Set loglevel to 2
% and look that up.

Good idea. I did not know that there are any logfiles.
Can you give me a hint how to switch them on or switch
them to level 2? Thanks.

> Some more descriptions:
> I have a Windows-2000-domain with ten W2K servers. One of the servers is
my
> backup server which has a share for each of the other servers where they
> can put
> their database-backups. As well I have a Linux box running a database; it
> also
> has to put its database backup to a share (named above).

% Off topic: Why not use Linux w/ Samba as backup-server?

Yippie. I was wondering how long it might take before this question
will come up. Yes, I did. And: the other way around may work (see a
little later in that mail).
BUT: I HAVE TO USE WINDOWS. (to many arguments in this company to tell).

> A few words on my database: I'm running SAP DB 7.3. It has the option to
> backup the database either on a tape or on into a file. If using
> "file-backup" this
> file can be anywhere on the linux, either in the local file system or in
> NFS or in
> SAMBA. SAP DB does not care on that as long as it can use a mount.
> In Windows this works out perfectly for me (same technique).
>
> Ive tried FTP, SAMBA and NFS: nothing can backup more than 2 or 4
Gigabyte.
> Ive tried Suse Enterprise 8, Suse 8.2, Mandrake 8.1: same problem
> everywhere.
> At home I tried to manage it with XP-Professional and Suse Linux 8.2;
there
> I've tested a new compiled kernel and samba 3.0.1: same problem.
>
> Sorry, but I'm getting "frustrated".

% I understand. Have you already thought of the possibility that the
% limit lies in the Linux-Version of your SAP DB? AFAI understand the
% problem occurs ONLY with that one DB.

Yes I did. I have SAP support and asked them:
they dont have any limit inside.

% Can you create a db-backup-file on a local partition of that machine?

Not yet anymore. The db exceeded the 50 % limit of the harddrive 2 weeks
ago. Right now the only backup I can do is on tape. This is not
working as well; but that's a different story. But before that date
(it was shortly after installation of the db) we made a backup on
harddrive. That worked out fine. With samba I've created a share on
LINUX to access the backup's folder and we were able to squeeze the
55 GB out of the box. But that option is not available to me anymore.

% Consult your manuals and support to make sure SAP has no limit on
% doing that so we can focus on the problem.

I did. SAP has no limit (un/fortunately).

Stefan, do you think there may be a "switch" in the kernel, or
something with my GLIBC? I've found some people telling others to
create a new kernel with a new GLIBC?!?! I dont know if that really
makes sense. In my eyes I would have made more sense to choose a
newer version of SAMBA.

% Keep up your head, it will work out ;-)
% Stefan G. Weichinger
% mailto:monitor at oopsdotcodotat

I'm trying to keep my head up. With Linux books .... ;-)

Regards,
Carsten Löffler

 This message is intended for the addressee or its representative only.
  Any form of unauthorized use, publication, reproduction, copying or
  disclosure of the content of this e-mail is not permitted. If you are not
  the intended recipient of this e-mail message and its contents, please
  notify the sender immediately and delete this message and all its
  attachments subsequently.

  command ag