[Samba] Smbpasswd to LDAP migration

Aaron Smith aaron at pandora-net.com
Fri Nov 14 16:55:03 GMT 2003

	I have a Samba PDC running on Redhat 7.3 (samba 3.0.0 installed from
binaries).  I initially set it up using smbpasswd as the database
backend and everything was working just fine.
	I've since decided to migrate everything to LDAP.  I have OpenLDAP
2.0.27 installed and have set up the directory following the
instructions in the Samba-HOWTO-Collection.  If I use slapadd to add
Samba users, they get set up in the LDAP directory just fine, and I can
use those user accounts on a windows box to authenticate Workgroup
shares.  However, if I try to add a windows (XP PRo) machine to the
domain, or try to use pdbedit to add users, I get errors.  It's almost
as if Samba has no problem reading the ldap directory, but can't make
any modifications to it.  I haven't set up Groups yet (I'm not entirely
clear on how to do this since the HOWTO merely says "ldap users are
responsible for adding Groups" without any indication of HOW that's
supposed to be done....)
	Command line LDAP tools such as ldapdelete and ldapmodify work just
fine for adding items using .ldif files.
	The only ldap access lines I have are

access to attrs=lmPassword,ntPassword
     by dn="cn=admin,ou=People,dc=pandora-net,dc=com" write
     by * none
access to dn=""
     by * read

	If I try to add a user using pdbedit I get:
ldapsam_modify_entry: Failed to add user dn= uid=asmith,ou=People with:
No such object

	This comes after asking me for a password for the user.  Oddly enough,
if I try to add a user that did NOT exist in the old smbpasswd file, I
get a DIFFERENT error:
could not create account to add new user invaliduser

	I've checked and rechecked the rootdn that I have in my smb.conf file
and it matches exactly with what is in slapd.conf.  The password is
correct as it's the same one I use to make modifications to the
Directory using ldapmodify....
	I'm not certain where I'm going wrong here.

"The pain of war could not exceed, the woe
	of aftermath.
The drums will shake the castle walls
The ringwraiths ride in black...."
	-Led Zeppelin "The Battle of Evermoore"