[Samba] Problem Samba 3.0 with net groupmap access LDAP 2.1.23

Kent L. Nasveschuk kent at wareham.k12.ma.us
Wed Nov 12 16:54:50 GMT 2003

Hello,
I thought I had this all figured out but I don't. I have a RedHat 8
system using LDAP 2.1.23 as backend to Samba 3.0.0. I wasn't able to get
machines to join the domain so I used the debug option in slapd -d 10 to
see what Samba was sending the LDAP server.

It looked like it was resolving my admin to the guest account. I went
back to check groupmap list and got the following error messages:

[root at whs1 root]# /usr/local/samba/bin/net groupmap list
[2003/11/12 12:44:29, 0] passdb/pdb_ldap.c:ldapsam_setsamgrent(2048)
  ldapsam_setsamgrent: LDAP search failed: No such object
[2003/11/12 12:44:29, 0]
passdb/pdb_ldap.c:ldapsam_enum_group_mapping(2113)
  ldapsam_enum_group_mapping: Unable to open passdb

I cannot tell you how many times I've run accross this message. One time
an error in my smb.conf caused it. This time I don't know. I get this
error message whether I load a base tree or it is empty. There are only
2 other configuration files that

I'm sure someone has run accross this. Any suggestions I'm running low
on patience.

Another question..

To add a computer to a domain, realize that to store the admin password
for Samba to use for this I need to run smppasswd -w xxxx. There are
different options in slapd.conf for encrypting the root user password.
What do I use? Nothing, {SSHA} {CRYPT} ..I may have a GCE (gross
conceptual error) about how this password is accessed. Help!

--
Kent L. Nasveschuk <kent at wareham.k12.ma.us>