[Samba] Re: Samba 3.0.0 - LDAP Authetication trouble

Bart Bekker bartro at go.ro
Wed Nov 12 07:33:10 GMT 2003

My smbpasswd file is empty. I am ptretty sure Samba uses LDAP for
authenticating users. Changing the password in LDAP database results in
login errors, so there is a connection. The bart account is indeed the
first, but I already noticed other accounts use the same user SID, so
there is something wrong here with the increment indeed.
My system runs on Suse 8.2, and for now uses /etc/passwd file for local
login since I could not configure ldap login at installation time.
I have to admit samba 3.0.0. takes a lot longer to get to work (at least
with ldap backend) than the 2.2.x versions. I am not an unexperienced
user, but I keep running in to problems.
Also, there are numerous sources (how-to's etc) to be found on the www,
all telling different stories. Especially the LDAP configuration seems
to be, at least in my case, the cause of trouble..

Thanks,

 Bart.