[Samba] Wierd Roaming Profile Error

Aaron Smith aaron at pandora-net.com
Tue Nov 11 19:30:30 GMT 2003

	I have a Redhat 7.3 server running Samba-3.0.0 installed from the
binary RPM's.  It's acting as a PDC with Roaming profiles.  I'm not
certain if what I'm seeing is actually an error or not, but perhaps
someone can shed a little light on what exactly it is that I'm seeing
here.
	I have a WinXP Pro machine that I will log into with  my domain
username and password.  My roaming profile will be downloaded from the
Samba PDC just fine.  If I log out, my profile will be updated on the
PDC.  So far so good.  However, if I immediately turn around and log
back in (as either myself OR another user), I get an error that my
profile could not be found on the server with the Detail of "The
specified network name is no longer available".  After poking and
prodding both machines, I discovered WHAT is happening, but not why.
	Immediately after logging off of the WinXP box, if I do a smbstatus on
the Samba server, I see a couple of connections:

Service      pid     machine       Connected at
profiles     21892   xpbox          Tue Nov 11 14:16:50 2003
IPC$         21892   xpbox         Tue Nov 11 14:15:55 2003
xpuser       21892   xpbox         Tue Nov 11 14:15:57 2003

If I attempt to log in while these entries are hanging around, I
get the error.  If I wait about 40 to 60 seconds, and check smbstatus
again, I'll see that the xpuser and profiles entries have dropped off.
If I attempt to log in at THIS point, everything is fine...

Is this just normal operating procedure for Samba?  Some sort of syncing
up time for the profiles?

"The pain of war could not exceed, the woe
	of aftermath.
The drums will shake the castle walls
The ringwraiths ride in black...."
	-Led Zeppelin "The Battle of Evermoore"